KUALA LUMPUR, March 7 – The security forces have cordoned off all sea and land routes to prevent food and weapons supplies from reaching the armed intruders from Southern Philippines.
The police, Armed Forces and Navy have also nabbed intruders who had attempted to leave and enter Kg Tanduo and Kg Tanjung Batu to get food supplies, said Sabah Police Commissioner Datuk Hamza Taib(Pic).
“We have created a tight cordon around the area, with the help of the Navy at sea and Armed Forces on land.
“Their food supplies are cut off because we have caught many of the intruders during their attempts to get food,” he said during a live interview on TV3’s Malaysia Hari Ini (MHI) programme, here today.
“The intrusion occurred on Feb 12 and so far in the process of handling the situation, eight Malaysian police personnel and more than 30 terrorists have died since last Friday.
Commenting on yesterday’s reports of the armed intruders now impersonating members of the public, Hamza said the authorities did not deny the possibility and had cordoned off Kg Tanjung Batu to ensure there were no residents there before going on the offensive.
“Even if there’s a way out, it’s only by sea. However, I admit that there are challenges as we’re dealing with human beings, so they may have some tricks up their sleeves,” he said.
In relation to the four men detained during the ambush in Kampung Simunul, Semporna, Hamza said police believed the suspects were linked to the incident but have yet to determine the extent of their involvement.