SHAH ALAM, September 19- Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim on Thursday sought forgiveness from Sultan Sharafuddin Idris Shah of Selangor over his statement to the Sultan that nominating one candidate for the menteri besar post had been the national practice since independence.
In a brief statement, the Parti Keadilan Rakyat (PKR) advisor said he was only stating what, to his knowledge, had happened, especially during the time he was in the Umno-BN government from 1982 to 1998.
“If there was a mistake, I seek forgiveness from His Highness the Sultan of Selangor,” he said.
The Sultan’s private secretary, Datuk Mohamad Munir Bani in an earlier statement had said the information released by Anwar was not correct and meant to confuse the people.
Mohamad Munir said during the 2013 general election, when the opposition coalition won the majority of seats in the Selangor state assembly, the Sultan of Selangor through his private secretary had sent a letter to the heads of the coalition to suggest four names as candidates for the post of menteri besar.
However, Mohamad Munir said the coalition wrote to the Sultan suggesting Tan Sri Abdul Khalid Ibrahim be re-appointed as Selangor Menteri Besar even though the Sultan had received several other names.
Mohamad Munir also suggested that Anwar not issue statements which would confuse the people and mar the image of the Sultan if he (Anwar) did not have accurate facts.