Disbursal of ISTF scholarship to 83 Malaysian Indian students for 2021-22
High Commission of India in Kuala Lumpur has disbursed scholarships to 83 Malaysian Indian students pursuing Diploma or Bachelor courses for the academic year 2021-22 under the Indian Scholarship & Trust Fund (ISTF). Total assistance offered this year amounted to RM307,500/-.
The High Commission for India in Kuala Lumpur is entrusted with the Indian Scholarship & Trust Fund (ISTF). The ISTF scholarships are provided annually for meritorious Malaysian students of Indian origin from economically weaker sections of society. A Committee was constituted to assist the Trustee in awarding scholarships. The Selection Committee comprises prominent local academicians, educationists and those involved in promotion of education among the Malaysian Indian student community.
The Selection Committee currently constitutes of the following eminent members:
- Tan Sri Prof. Dr. T. Marimuthu, Former Member of Parliament, Senator, Deputy Minister.
- Tan Sri Dato’ Ajit Singh, Former Secretary-General of ASEAN.
- Tan Sri Dato’ Dr. M. Thambirajah, Founder of Sri Murugan Centre (SMC).
- Datuk Dr. Achaiah Kumar Rao, Advisor of Telugu Association of Malaysia (TAM).
- Sathish Ramachandran, Partner at Deol & Gill Advocates & Solicitors, with long experience in the education sector.
High Commission of India is grateful to the Selection Committee for their valuable time and meticulous efforts in shortlisting and interviewing such large number of candidates. High Commission of India deeply appreciates the efforts of the Selection Committee.
ISTF has been reinforced with additional funds, from time to time, by the Government of India. During the last 15 years, financial assistance of more than RM2.5 million from the ISTF has been disbursed to around 1,000 Malaysian Indian students. These students are from various parts of Malaysia pursuing varying streams of education.
Invitation for the next round of applications for scholarships under ISTF will be published in December 2022.