The salient features of the Scholarship Programme for Diaspora Children (SPDC) 2016-17 are as follows:
- The Scholarship is available to Persons of Indian Origin (PIOs), Non-Resident Indians (NRIs) and Children of Indian Workers in Malaysia, for pursuing for pursuing under-graduation in specific courses in India during the 2016-17 academic year.
- The courses under this programme do not include medical and related courses.
- Details of the scheme is available at http://indianhighcommission.com.my/spdc.html.
- Subsequent to that, following modifications have been made:
- The NRI, PIO students who were admitted in India in 2015-16 batch are now eligible for scholarship under the SPDC and will be governed by guidelines of the existing revamped SPDC 2016-17 scheme. Such students will be considered for scholarship from the current academic year i.e. they will not receive scholarship amount for the 2015-16 academic year. The amount of scholarship for this category of students shall be determined as applicable for 2nd year students. These candidates can apply for scholarship through the SPDC portal <http://spdcindia.gov.in> by 31.12.2016.
- The monthly income limit for PIOs and NRIs has been raised to US$4,000/-
- The candidates can now upload self-attested copies of all supporting documents except proof of Indian origin. The proof of Indian origin or undertaking of Indian origin of applicants will be attested by the High Commission of India and submitted on the SPDC portal <http://spdcindia.gov.in>.
- In addition to National Institutes of Technology (NITs), Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs), and Schools of Planning and Architecture (SPAs) covered under the Direct Admission of Students Abroad (DASA) scheme <www.dasanit.org>, students admitted in Other Premier Technical Institutions covered under the DASA scheme shall also be eligible for scholarship under the SPDC 2016-17. The list of institutes for under-graduation courses under the DASA 2016 is available at <http://indianhighcommission.com.my/pdf/DASA2016InstitutesUG.pdf>.
- The last date for submission of applications is extended till 31 December 2016.
- The other provisions of the SPDC 2016-17 remain the same. For more details on the SPDC 2016-17, please visit <http://indianhighcommission.com.my/spdc.html>.