Kuala Lumpur – The Indian government has relaxed some of its previous rulings on the re-issuance of OCI cards. The full text of the press statement released through the Indian High Commission in Kuala Lumpur states as follows:
“The following OCI guidelines have been in force since 2005:
- OCI card needs to be re-issued each time a new passport is acquired
by the cardholder up to the age of 20 years.
- OCI card is required to be re-issued once on acquiring a new
passport after completing 50 years of age.
- Re-issuance of OCI card is not required each time a passport is
issued to a cardholder between 21 and 50 years of age.
2. This is to inform that Government of India has decided to grant
temporary relaxation till 30th June 2020 in the following cases:
In case an OCI card holder below the age of 20 years has not got
OCI card re-issued on change of passport, he/she may travel on
the strength of his/her existing OCI card bearing old passport
number subject to the condition that along with the new passport,
the OCI cardholder carries old passport mentioned in the OCI card.
In case an OCI card holder who has attained the age of 50 years
and got his/her passport renewed subsequently but has not got
his/her OCI card re-issued on renewal of passport, he/she may
travel till June 30, 2020 on the strength of existing OCI card alongwith the new and old passports.
3. It is, however, advised that OCI cardholders may take steps
to comply with the existing OCI guidelines in Para 1 above and
renew their OCI cards as required by the rules.